Monday, March 9, 2009

If you're crazy and you know it clap y our hands...

*CLAP**CLAP*
So Thomas and I have thrown around ideas for participating in the farmer's market since it reopened two years ago. See why I'm crazy? I am the girl who can kill every plant I touch, have failed to start a yard garden even though I've thought about it for a half dozen years, and haven't baked fresh bread since I was 5.
But we realized I'm good at one thing- and that's cookies. So it'll be a glorified bake sale and I'm afraid the "real" farmer's market people will want to chase me out of there with pitchforks- sort of like hippie carnies chasing out a no-talent wannabe clown. I am going to try to offer cookies that appeal to the crowd in hopes of turning a profit and avoiding previously mentioned pitch-forking.Currently under review are:
(The Staples)
My favorite chocolate chip cookies
Jam cookies
Decorated Sugar Cookies
(The eccentric)
Cashew Caramel Cracker Bars
(The pulling-it-off cause it's a farmer's market)
Cornmeal Thyme - or - Butter Rosemary (can't decide yet)
VEGAN Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Chocolate Chips

I have already located good, cheap packaging and created a label for them. I need to get down grocery lists, estimate costs, and determine how much to package and price.
We'll give it one, maybe two trial runs and then do all the legal stuff if I think I'll continue.

Any suggestions on cookie choice or cost effectiveness (or large font exclamations to stop before I go any further) leave me a comment!

2 comments:

Jillian Kay said...

Awesome!!! This sounds like a lot of fun, and you'd be sooo good at it!! Just make sure you don't need any special permits/health inspections to sell food created in your home. ;-)

I love the idea of the vegan cookies!! that will definitely be unique!

Jillian Kay said...

oooh oooh! if you also sold little cartons of milk that would rock. cause cookies and milk go together!!