Monday, May 4, 2009

Blueberry Scones and Birthday Presents

So this is the time I would normally post my weekly menu (ok, ok, if I actually POSTED it when I created it)- but instead, I have been cleaning out flower gardens, sorting baby clothes to be passed on, updating the recipe index on this blog and tending to a runny nose. Last week's menu had a bit of a change- Friday night instead of breakfast we had burgers. Why? Because my lovely hubby got me a grill for my birthday! Yes I know my birthday is at the end of the month and that he got it for me because I all but demanded he do so- it makes it no less exciting for me :).

Friday night we fired it up for the first time, had a neighbor over, and ate Worcester garlic cheeseburgers. Saturday we fired it up again so I could make "grilled" cheese- provolone, tomato and basil sandwiches. Surprisingly the texture was better on the grill :). FEEL FREE TO SHARE YOUR FAVORITE GRILLING RECIPES WITH ME- I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING!

Saturday morning we went to a garage sale (where I scored some bread tins) and made blueberry scones. A few years ago we gave the cookbook Breakfast Lunch Tea as a Christmas present. Of course, I fell in love with it and got a copy for myself. It is written by the baker/owner of Rose Bakery in Paris, France. The scones were one of the first things I made and they tend to come out of my oven at least once a month.
Thomas and I baked these just before Hurricane Ike. We stayed with some family and brought these for breakfast. We practically lived on them and a few open restaurants while we were without power for the next week.


Blueberry Scones
Makes 12-15 scones

3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 handful wholewheat flour or cornmeal (optional)
2 very heaped tablespoons baking powder
2 heaped tablespoons superfine sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon or 1 orange
Scant 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces (plus extra for greasing sheet)
2 handfuls blueberries
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups whole, 2% or soy milk
1 tablespoon light brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 400. Grease a baking sheet with butter.

Sift the all-purpose flour into a bowl and add the wholewheat or cornmeal if using (I use wholewheat).

Mix in the baking powder, superfine sugar and salt, then add the butter and rub in with fingers (or pastry blender) until the mixture resembles fresh breadcrumbs.

Mix in the lemon or orange zest.

Add the blueberries and mix well.

Beat one of the eggs in a measuring jug, then add enough milk to reach the 1 1/4 cup level.

Make a well in the middle, pour in the liquid and use a fork to work it into the dry ingredients. Finish by hand but without overworking the mixture- just lightly bring everything together to form a softish but firm dough. If it is too dry add a little more milk, and if it is too wet add some more flour. It must not be sticky at all.

On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll the dough into a solid shape about 1 1/4 inches thick.

Using a 2 inch cutter, cut the dough into rounds and place them on the greased baking tray so that they almost touch.

Beat the remaining egg and use to glaze the tops of the scones.

Sprinkle with the brown sugar and bake 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.

The scones will stick together, so take them gently apart when they have cooled a little.

No comments: