Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Check out the side bar!

So, I added a feature to my blog which is going to make MY life a lot easier as I add favorite recipes and I hope it will inspire a few happy evenings with good food and friends to all of you readers. After I set it up I realized it might quickly outgrow the alphabetized organization and need categories- but meh- this is all I've got to offer for now.

It seemed as if the bad financial times had been skipping over my friends and family for a while, but it is finally starting to seep into the lives of people I know- lost jobs, tighter budgets, etc.etc. I liked the list of suggestions from This Vintage Chica blog. It has all set me into planning mode for cutting our expenses- finding coupons, shopping the sales, planning meals better, etc. Anyone with tips and ideas let me know! Right now I'm just focused on using every bit of food I buy- finding recipes that share ingredients and "eating to the back of the pantry" as my parents would say (this last part is funny- like yay right funny, not haha funny- considering how packed our pantry is, but you get the idea).

So I bought chicken on sale BuyOneGetOne, cooked it, chopped it up, and am spreading it across a few recipes. Monday night was Curves White Chili. I bought onions by the bag when they were on sell BOGO, had leftover jalapeno and cheese, and have this great chicken stock powder I got in a barter using tablecloths I no longer used. BTW- bartering is my favorite form of thrifting ever. Hit me up- seriously.

White Chili
Ingredients
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbls olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
7 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
1 teaspoon powdered cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup cooked white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
8 ounces cooked chicken breast, cubed
chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in soup pot until tender. Add Jalapeno, chiles, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt, and saute another minute. Stir in chicken broth, beans, and chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in cilantro and cheese. Makes about 3 servings.



The rest of the chicken will be used for Chicken and Dumplings tonight. The only ingredients I had to buy were the Carrots and Potato- the rest is in my pantry. BTW- I half this recipe and cut out the celery (Thomas doesn't like it).

My current goals are to buy more ingredients in their most basic form- shredding cheese myself, using my bread machine, buying heads of lettuce and bunched spinach.


So after sounding as if I'm a super saver (haha-I'm totally not) let me burst my own bubble and tell you how excited I am to go to a cooking class this afternoon! Definitely not on the cheap side of entertainment, but I have been wanting to go to a cooking class forever and can't wait! It's on Morocan cuisine and I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Jillian Kay said...

i was just thinking about you! thanks for the valentines, btw, cuuuuuuuute photos!! i think if mom and dad got to the back of the pantry, they would find canned things that are expired. :)

you are a domestic goddess. I, on the other hand, am considering getting a housekeeper for my 350 sq ft apartment. it would be my part to help the economy ;-)

have fun at the cooking class!