Sunday, July 15, 2007

Chicken and Dumplings

Abigail and Brett got married! It was a beautiful, fun wedding and I wish them both much safety and happiness. I got to hang out with Hung and Doug and a bunch of other people I rarely see. Weddings are great for hanging out with old friends.
So in my last post I'm shown serving an entire cornish hen to Thomas and another entire one to myself. The portion size for the recipe was, as you could imagine, a bit large. I don't like wasting leftovers, so I thought I should try my hand at chicken and dumplings. I have a few great cookbooks full of southern style home cooked menus, just to mention one, Pattie Labelle's Cooking Light :), but none had a recipe for cooking chicken and dumplings when the chicken was already cooked. I finally found a recipe on recipezaar.com. The recipe was pretty good, although a little different from other chicken and dumplings I've had because the cloves were so strong. All in all it was pretty easy and satisfying.

10 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 bay leaf
3 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, shredded
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 carrots, chopped
3 cups Bisquick baking mix
1 cup milk

1. Place first 8 ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Add vegetables and simmer until vegetables are just tender (20 min.).
3. Mix Bisquik and milk to make drop biscuits.
4. Drop by large spoonfuls into soup which has been brought to a rolling boil.
5. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes, or until dumplings are done.
6. (Be sure to remove bay leaf and cloves.).

4 comments:

mom said...

wow sounds sooo good. i don't cook like that for dad very often anymore because it is to many carbs for his diet. sounds like the wedding was great, so glad you had a good time. love you,
mom

Abigail... said...

MMmmmmm....Yummy! I'll definitely have to try this one. And I'm glad the wedding was fun from your end too! hehehe. its kinda a blur to me ;-)

Miss you guys! Keep up the great recipes.

mom said...

OK enough with the chiken...cook something else, i'm hungry :)

LH McLane said...

Hey Katie, I found your Blog! The recipes look great, but I am skeptical about finding some of the ingredients up here. I'll have to give it a try, though