Saturday, September 22, 2007


Whew! How did I go from trying to live a slow life to being this busy?! There really hasn't been that much baking... or blogging.... lately. There hasn't been much of anything aside from school, work, and albums. School is great. We teach K-5th graders, 60 all at once, in an after school program on Thursdays. They're so cute! I'm a little stressed about school and I don't know why, but I've had a few anxiety dreams. You know, the kind where everyone in your class, your teacher, and your friends all stand around and tell you you're going to fail? I think the real root of my anxiety is an opportunity I've been given to expand my album design business. Jill sent me a link to an album design company out of California who is growing too fast and needs a few part time designers. In a crazy moment of "what could happen" thinking, I sent them an email with links to some of my work. They responded mostly positively and have invited me to design a sample album for them in October as an interview. What am I thinking!?? It would be great if this took off and I could quit my job, but that would take me believing my work is at the professional level. This is a jump I am not ready to take and I'm terribly fearful of rejection. So, yeah, anxiety much?
Despite everything going on, I did find time to put in a last ditch effort to accomplish a few of my summer plans before school got into full swing. I have an herb garden again!


This garden is not nearly as cool as the one Emily and Tex gave us as a wedding present (the cats aren't getting fresh catnip anytime soon), but it's so nice to have fresh basil and oregano again. Our favorite bean salad is much tastier with fresh ingredients. It's perfect for days when you want a light meal and don't have much time.

Texans complain a lot about the weather, but lately, it has been perfect! Low 80s, good breezes, clear skies. I've found myself on the porch a lot in the last week studying (it's also quieter outside, than inside with Thomas :) ). Every once in a while a good breeze comes and all the smells from my herbs get stirred up. While making the salad below, I was able to stab myself with a new knife, injuring my hand badly enough to make me think I needed to have stitches. Three hours later in the emergency room I was being handed a band-aid and feeling very sheepish. Oh well, better safe than sorry. A big thanks to Anna for taking me :). Don't worry, the food wasn't contaminated. Thomas was sweet enough to finish it for me.

Herbed Black Bean Salad
from Better Homes and Gardens Smart Diet
a present from Cyndi (THANKS!!!)
1 15oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
1/4 cup snipped fresh oregano
2 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a medium bowl combine the garbanzo beans, black beans, tomatoes, basil, oregano, green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Let salad stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
We always serve this salad with cornbread.

3 comments:

Abigail... said...

YAY!! Katie-news! I'm so excited about all the prospects coming up in your life-and I cant imagine anyone being "more professional"...I've seen your albums and they're fabulous, any company would be LUCKY to have you!

Sounds like life is exciting as ever, and I'm glad the Sister was around for the ER visit...hehehe. ;-)

love and miss you guys!

Jillian said...

1st - you won't fail school, that's just silliness. ;) so long as you don't go mad and drop kick a kid, i don't think you could possibly fail. :)

2nd - the worst they could say is no, the best they could say is "quit your current job". i mean seriously...it's so worth a try. and you're fabulous!

3rd - YOU STABBED YOURSELF? KATIE! glad you didn't need stitches, but lets lay off those herbs! :)

4th - more posting. :)

Jillian Kay said...

ugh, once again, logged in with the wrong account. i'm cairken. :)