Thursday, April 2, 2009

One dark and dreary morning...

Eden had her four month check-up yesterday and was so wound up she didn't take any naps. Whoever said those shots make babies sleep hasn't met our quirky little kid. Eden is big and healthy- 70% on length, 75% on head (she's growing into her noggin!), and 80% on weight- a whopping 14lbs and 11 oz. She has been cleared for cereal and I can't wait to try out the first oh so messy feeding.

Our lives are so full right now that it is hard to find time to blog- it is also hard to catch up from my last post- but I'll try to hit the highlights:

Thomas took Eden to her Mamier's on Friday, taking along with him Creamy Chicken Enchiladas I made them for dinner. I'm shocked to discover that I've never posted this recipe before. We eat it often and it's my go to recipe when preparing dinner for another family. Check out the recipe below.

While they were traveling I made cookies and watched Crossroads (not the Brittany Spears version but oh just equally unwatchable). After very little sleep, I braved the freezing weather to sell cookies. The cold snap sort of killed the spring fling- but I was still able to break even (covering one time purchases like the tablecloth) and make enough to pay myself about $1.50 an hour. I will not be doing this in the future :), but it was fun while it lasted.
The rest of our weekend was VERY relaxing- I napped, we took a walk at the lake with Ryan and Anna (well, Thomas and Ryan played disc golf), ate sushi, bought and watched A LOT of Pushing Daisies (which Thomas loves), sewed a little for a friend's baby shower, and found my phone- IN THE DISHWASHER.

Yeah, I'm special, I've been told.

Monday was spent feeling crazy because I didn't have a phone (I'm addicted), Tuesday was spent traveling to see my parents and borrow a junker phone from my brother, and yesterday was Eden's dr appointment. Caught up now?

So I get to buy a new phone... and I'm starting to think iPhone. Thomas made the excellent point that if we move- easy connectibility will be a must. I'm still not convinced that I'm worthy of such a fancy phone, but I'm sure I'll grow out of that soon!

Today is dedicated to gathering ingredients and prepping cookies for Thomas' mom's family reunion this weekend. My current plan is to make Midnight Cowboy Chocolate Chip cookies (sans cocunut), butter rum cookies, and hazelnut caramel cracker bars. They are all pretty quick and easy and two of the doughs can be made a day ahead of baking. I'll let you know how they go, but for now will just leave you with this yummy recipe:

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (drain well!!! or your enchiladas will be soggy)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 8-ounce carton light dairy sour cream
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 7-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
6 flour tortillas (smaller ones)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped tomato for garnish

Place chicken in a large saucepon in enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes ro utnil chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken from saucepan. When cool enough to handle, use a fork to shred chicken into bite-size pieces (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). Set aside.

In a large bowl combine chicken, spinach, and green onions; set aside. For sauce, in a bowl combine sour cream, yogurt, flour, cumin, and salt. Stir in milk and chile peppers. Set aside.

For filling, combine half of the sauce and the chicken-spinach mixture. Divide filling among tortillas; roll up. Placed filled tortillas, seams sides down in a greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.

Spoon remaining sauce over tortillas. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven about 25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with lots of chopped, fresh tomato.

No comments: