Thursday, May 21, 2009

Checking in

I have once again created a blogging conundrum. I have been so busy I can't blog and now am putting off blogging because I don't know where to start!

Thomas left today, and is currently flying overhead, for Bayfield, WI- where he and three buds are going to canoe to the apostle islands in Lake Superior. They are really trying to take one outdoorsy trip a year together. My girls and I have had similar goals but we've never gotten our act together :). Of course instead of canoeing in 40 degree lakes we want to go to NYC and catch a broadway show.

Eden is going to go to her Mamere's on Friday night and is staying until MONDAY! I normally go nuts after about 24 hours without her but there are some compelling reasons for me to let her go a little longer this time.
1: I'm not a big fan of the "single parent" game. My respect for single parents, military families, families of truckers or men who work in the oilfield, etc, has risen TREMENDOUSLY since having Eden. Thomas travels some and I'm totally capable of handling our little life without him, and have done so for short periods, but it's SO much easier with two parents- and selfishly- it's my birthday and I would like a break- not a harder day. Can I be selfish and still be a good mom? Meh- I've been told finding time for yourself makes you a better parent- but I still feel pretty guilty when I do it!
2: I really want to discourage seperation anxiety and these visits certainly help.
3: I'll get to do a little traveling of my own! Saturday morning I'm going to head to Ft Worth to visit Cyndi and Clay at their new place- hopefully we'll catch some dinner with Michelle and Miriam and their hubbies.

If you don't get anything else out of this blog it should be that I LOVE lists. I've actually already researched iPhone apps on the subject and have yet to narrow it down, oh but you can bet I'll be getting one.

Coming soon I'll post pictures of our tie-dye party. We broke in our grill (Thomas' b-day present to me, which I love!) and had a few friends over for burgers, tie-dye, and the following dessert.

Fresh Strawberry Bars
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup strawberry jam
4 cups small whole strawberries, halved or quartered

1. Heat oven to 350. Line 13X9X2 inch baking pan with foil, extending foil beyond edges. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter and peanut better on medium to high for 30 seconds. Beat in sugars, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with mixer. Stir in remaining flour.
3. Spread dough in prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
4. Cool completely on rack. Remove from pan by lifting foil. Spread jam and top with berries. Cut into bars. Serve at once or refrigerate up to 6 hours. Makes 24 bars.
Make ahead- wrap the peanut butter base in foil; store at room temperature up to 24 hours. Before serving, top with jam and berries. Or freeze the peanut butter base in a freezer container up to 3 months.

No comments: