Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nursery Details

The quilt top for Eden is now complete. Really, it was complete a week ago, or at least as much as I've now decided I'm going to do. I really meant to take progress pictures when the 192 squares I cut were turned into 384 triangles and then slowly sewn back together... but I was a little obsessed with the triangles and couldn't bear to put them down and grab the camera.

It's wrinkly, but you get the picture. My only complaint is that the purple I chose for the room's main fabric (will be repeated in the bumper and crib skirt) is a little bland for the quilts corner pieces. It'll work well for the skirt and bumper (mixed with green and yellow too) because it won't be overwhelming... but for the quilt... it's just a little blah. All this to say it doesn't bother me enough to rip the entire border off and do it again. I need to take close up pictures of all the fabric- they're such sweet feedsack reproduction prints.

So what else should have been done to the quilt top??

The pattern calls for a feather embroidery stitch to be done all around the edges. I thought "great! I just bought this wonderful book for beginning embroiderers! I can try it out!" 4 days later I finished outlining the first of twelve dutch windmill blocks, the quilt had lost some of it's softness, and I was already snagging it on things (what is a baby/toddler going to do with this??). It adds great color, but I'm all about the comfort and durability, so I ripped it all back out.

In staying with the vintagey theme I'm working into the nursery, I got this fantastic pillow. It's new new- not just mine new- so it doesn't smell or have stains, and will really brighten up the brown glider my parents got us for the nursery.


This is not the actual chair, because of course we're too picky and it has to be special ordered (crossing fingers it's here before Eden :) ). It is in the same fabric as the one above but is a bit smaller with a rounded back instead of square. It is sooooo comfortable and just the perfect size for our little petite family.

More pics to come as things progress, but for now I think I'll go crash!

2 comments:

Abigail... said...

Yay! I'm so glad you posted this! Just in time, because I was headed to hobby lobby just today to pick out yarn for the baby blanket I'm knitting for you ( I'm not good at surprises)...of course, I probably won't be able to match it perfectly, but it least I have a better idea of colors now! woo woo! :-)
( and great job on the quilt, looks fabulous! You're turning into quite the pro)

Jillian Kay said...

it's beautiful!! i love it, and she will love it. looks like an heirloom to me :)