Saturday, October 24, 2009

It's getting cold---- YAYAY!!!

It might seem odd at first, but if I was asked what my favorite-can't-live-without kitchen tool was I'd have to say my laptop. I try to keep all of my favorite recipes on here, use google way too often for recipe substitutions and measurement conversions, and watch hulu while cooking. In preparation for making chili tonight I opened up my blog to get the recipe (they're all on the sidebar!) and was shocked that I had never posted about this! Thomas and I bought a firepit last winter and broke it in by having a chili and smores party. Recipezaar is often a go to site when I'm looking for classic dishes and want to compare a variety of recipes. I found one titled "The Best Chili You Will Ever Taste" and haven't ventured to another recipe since. Well, here you go!

THE BEST CHILI YOU WILL EVER TASTE

Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons oil
* 2 onions, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 1 can dark beer
* 1 cup strong coffee
* 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
* 1 can beef broth
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 1 tablespoon cocoa
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 teaspoon coriander
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (I HALF THIS)
* 4 chili peppers, chopped

Directions

1.Heat oil.
2.Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
3.Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.
4.Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.
5.Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
6.Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Abigail... said...

you sold me on the "Cup of Strong coffee"...this HAS to be good! I will try it again once I'm in a new state, new kitchen and have someone to eat it with! can't wait :-)