Friday, October 5, 2007

Business as Usual

This is my wonderful cozy living room, with two even cozier cats. It looks nothing like this right now :). In fact, it's rarely looked like this all semester. This welcoming sitting area is now piled high with text books, articles read and unread, lists of TEKS, art album discs, etc, etc.
I am trying to decide if i have given myself too much to do or if I am the type of person who is easily overwhelmed and suited better for a simple lifestyle.

Turning album designing into a company is an awesome dream; however, it would be great if someone could just hire me on to create albums and they took care of the websites, taxes, marketing, contracts, and so on that comes with the business side of things. I don't think I'm cut out to do it. The truth of the matter is, when I start to teach, there will not be time for this company, at least, no more time than I give it now. And isn't that the ultimate goal of what I'm doing? To get a job teaching? I like album design, but it's not painting and it's not teaching art. Should I just chill and not try to actively grow the company? I could keep working at Elliott until I find a teaching job. It shows a lasting position with a company and it has good benefits. It's also not a bad job :). Album design is just so interesting. It could be 0 - 5 years before I find a teaching job so it's hard to plan. Also, album design would be good for when I have kids- working from home............
(Thanks for reading through that short list of pros and cons, I'll spare you the rest, of which there is a lot). Suffice it to say, it's so hard to decide how much work to put into this.
But I will mention that I am possibly being hired on part time (case by case basis) with an album design company out of California. YAY!!!

To top that, and add more stress (happy stress), a friend of mine in Alaska, who works for an interior design firm, showed my work (paintings/prints) to her boss. It's apparently not quite the right style to show in their office space as they often do for local artists, but she likes my work and wants to get a good portfolio from me to keep on file to show clients in search of art pieces. Thanks Lisa for playing art dealer!!

I feel like I've already said too much about myself, but after all it is my blog and I should mention for those curious that I rocked my teaching assignment Thursday. I sounded confident and knowledgeable (not hard to do when you are teaching the kids about the four seasons :) ) and most impressive of all, I got all 60 kids to be quiet at one time! For like 10 minutes! Booya! Te he. Then I had fun getting them all rilled up and excited about watercolors for the next 30 minutes. Art is great :). The best part about it was that I wasn't nervous when I was standing in front of 75 people who were judging every move I made. I was exhilarated. I love teaching!!
I celebrated by drinking a lot of Raising Cane's Lemonade. I've never eaten their food, but that lemonade is like crack.
Whoo! So much running through my little brain....

1 comment:

Jillian Kay said...

:) you can never say enough about you! (especially in a blog about YOU silly!)

i think right now (and always) you just need some creative outlet. and you're so good at so many creative things, it's hard to pick! but whether it's painting or design or whatever, you're always going to need to do something creative in order to feel whole.

now, whether you do it for moola or for fun, that's a whole other story. :) and i agree.. all the business stuff sucks a big hairy toe.